Sunday we went from Nanchang to Guangzhou and I was a little nervous about how well Lily would travel. I was a little shaken just at the thought of taking her from the province where she has been since birth and taking her away from anything and everything she has known but all of this was really overshadowed by the chaos of travelling with a 7 month old. It was a rainy and yucky day in Nanchang and our flight was delayed leaving for Guangzhou. We got checked in and went through security...of course Lily had a complete meltdown while the person was trying to scan our faces and passports (they do this at all the airports with the facial recognition software). Everyone was staring at us and our guide asked me why she was crying like she was. All I can do is say "DUH, she's a BABY!". Babies cry, don't they?!? I used to be one of those people who would roll my eyes and feel dread if I was on a plane anywhere near a baby and, now, I am the one torturing people with my child. Oh well.
Here we are in the Nanchang airport dumping our bottled water and emptying the thermos (filled with hot water for Lily's bottles) before we go through security. Trust me the bottled water is not for me since I have stopped drinking anything on days we are out in absolute horrified fear that I may have to use a squatty potty.

Here I am with my sweet pea. She looks so innocent, doesn't she?!?! She was resting her lungs.

On the bus on the way to the airport...we are still smiling.

I don't have pictures of the fiasco that was boarding the plane but let me tell you - it sucked! We had to take a shuttle bus out to the plane and it was POURING down rain. In China, the principle of chivalry, kindness to people with babies, etc is nonexistent. Not only did I have to teeter in the middle of the shuttle bus with no handrail, hanging on to our guide, Louise, for dear life with one arm while holding Lily with the other but, when the shuttle bus stopped and we had to get to the stairs to the plane, people bum-rushed the doors, squishing me and Lily to the back of the line out in the open in the pouring rain. I had to push and beat people away in order to get under the awning and up the stairs to the plane. Have I said that it sucked?!?!
Anyway, we made it to Guangzhou in one piece and got settled in to our hotel.

We are staying at the Victory Hotel and we LOVE it. Shamian Island is beautiful!
1 comment:
I'm with you-DUH! Of course she would, and should, object to some stranger waving a thing in her face, not to mention all the stimulation of the crowd, etc.
Glad you made it to Shamian without too much fuss.
Ruby
Post a Comment