Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Longest Month Ever

We are currently living the longest month in the history of forever. Really it seems like it. If we don't receive our referral this month, everyone will be visiting me in the loony bin because I can absolutely not survive another month like this one. So...I am trying to think of things to occupy my mind to pass the time a little. It would be great if these side-track items could be productive too. Today's thought is our challenge of packing and carrying luggage that will fit the in-country China requirement of a 44 lb bag + carry-on per person. If you know me, then you know I can easily carry 44 lbs of shoes for a 3 day weekend. Packing 44 lbs for 2 weeks in another country AND having to include items for a baby....OMG....I'm in trouble. So far Jeff and I have gotten 2 of these...
29" rolling duffel. They have 2 compartments so we can pack more fragile stuff down below. I am hoping that we can use these and pack half my stuff and half Jeff's stuff in each (just in case one is lost) and do the same with Lily's things. I know we are going to have to buy some things in China so I am trying to prioritize necessities. We are going to have to find a way to do laundry too. Is it bad that I am actually thinking of wearing yoga pants every single day that we are in China?!? Really...they are light for packing, you can wear them with short or long sleeves, sneakers or flip flops, layer with a sweater, even dress them up a little. Hmmm.

I am still looking for a backpack that can act as a carry-on, laptop holder and diaper bag for while we are in China. I have eyed one on the LL Be@n site but I am waiting for referral before I buy. So we will have 2 rolling duffels, 2 backpacks for carry-ons...that's it. Geesh.

Fortunately, it looks like we will be travelling during warmer months so we won't need as many sweaters and things but we are still going to have a huge challenge ahead of us.

I'm up for it though...anything to get our wee one in our arms ASAP. Maybe tomorrow I will think of another topic to occupy my brain. Or maybe not.

2 comments:

azylee said...

Hey Nicole -

Good luck getting everything to fit into your bags and the weight limit - goodness!!

REI has some great travel clothes that don't wrinkle, dry quick and some are even reversible so you won't be wearing the same thing in all the pics. Here are a few things that I found:
http://www.rei.com/product/808723
http://www.rei.com/product/808581

Amy

Shari said...

I packed very light. 2 pair of shoes-I really only needed 1. I was surprised by my referral- my daughter was younger than I expected so I had no clothes for her. Since I was in Guangzhou for 2 weeks I just packed 2 outfits and shopped there. Getting clothes washed was relatively cheap. Take lots of tops and fewer bottoms. I carried on most everything and took a suitcase with diapers and some extra shirts. I took old underwear and threw them away.
It was HOT so shorts and t-shirts and 2 pair of capris.
Yoga pants is not a bad idea!!
Good luck. I stressed so much over packing! But you don't need much!