Thursday, March 24, 2011

Care Package Project: Photo Album

Fortunately for me, I am working a lot this week so my mind is staying somewhat busy. Today, however, I am off work so I have some time to revert to my Lily obsessing. This afternoon I will be meeting Karen, the female half of the couple who is logged in with us through our agency and who will be sharing this life-changing journey with us, for frozen yogurt. This morning I am thinking about what I can do to be productive as we finish out this wait for Lily's picture. Hopefully we are in the last few days of our wait....hopefully.



A few days ago, I ordered two of these...

It's a soft sided, plastic photo album that we will be putting in the care package that we will send to Lily once we know who and where she is. The little bullseye on the front is a pocket for a picture and there are pockets inside for 6 4x6 photos as well. I will put Lily's referral picture on the front but I'm trying to figure out what pictures should go on the inside. People send this so that the babies can get a little visually familiar with the faces, environments, etc. that will soon
rock their worlds. I ordered 2 of them because some times what goes in the care package is not returned to the family with the child and I want to have a duplicate for Lily to have at home. I know I am going to put pictures of myself and Jeff and Lily's room and probably pictures of a few extended family. Just narrowing it down to 6 is a tough job. I want close ups of faces with not much background stuff happening too.

This is one of the projects I know I can work on now. I can also work on buying gifts for nannies and guides. We have to have 8-10 gifts (I think) with 1 or 2 for a male mixed in. Some suggestions I've seen for these are like bath and body works items, things from the US or local to our area (what unique thing is local to Alabama??). As far as the care package, there are a few more things that will go to Lily. Jeff and I will start sleeping with a blankie I crocheted soon so that it can "smell like us". I probably need to make a duplicate of that as well just in case. I will also be sending a couple of disposable cameras with a note asking the nannies/foster parents to take pictures of Lily in her environment in China so that she can have them when she gets older. Maybe a few little clothing items, some snacks for the nannies...not sure what else. It would be nice if I could be even slightly productive during this time just to keep myself sane. People say that the wait between referral and travel is even more difficult but, really, we can't even get to that point until we have Lily's referral so let's go already.

1 comment:

Special K said...

I just asked my brother and sister to give me a photo of their families for this same reason. LOL! I think I'm going to use Ann at Red Threads to do the care package. Only because there is a chance she can get updated info and newer pics.