Sunday, March 04, 2007

Eclipse? Huh?

Did you see it? On Saturday night there was a lunar eclipse. I had no idea this was happening until Mom and Dad told me that it was happening in London. Then I had to actually see it in the sky to realize that that meant it was taking place all over the world (I know I'm a bright one). We had a funny discussion about what causes a lunar eclipse and now I will summarize with a pop quiz:
What causes a lunar eclipse?
a) the sun travelling between the earth and the moon (smart one, Jeff)
b) the sun reflecting off of the moon (Dad - reflecting, shadows - whatever, right?)
c) some kind of shadow something (this was my guess)
d) A lunar eclipse occurs whenever the Moon passes through some portion of the Earth's shadow. This can occur only when the Moon is full, and when the Sun, Earth and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so. (thanks Jason for quoting Wikipedia)
Here is a cool picture of what the eclipse looked like in France:
We were so interested in increasing our ecliptical knowledge that Mom found this great graphic describing the process.



Now we will be TOTALLY prepared for the next lunar eclipse which will happen on August 27th, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the next one...Mars will pass between the sun and earth blocking out the moon which will in turn refract the speed of light rays which will make our moon seem magenta with lime green polka-dots.

Nicole said...

You know magenta was always one of my favorite colors...you convinced me.