Monday, September 25, 2006

Cruise Day 3: Florence and Pisa, Italy

What a day! We started the day with a 1 1/2 hour drive to Florence where we were dropped in a square. Immediately I discovered that I didn't have my Sea Pass card which is what we were to use to get off and on the cruise ship. Of course, in my calm nature, I panicked and had a hissy fit. After I had some gelato and relaxed, we toured a church where we saw the tombs of Galileo, Machiavelli, Michelangelo, Dante and more. The monuments were gorgeous - there were huge sculptures and painting that you could only find in a European setting. We walked some in Florence and saw a reproductions of the David statue. One thing I must say about Italy is that they seem to focus a lot of the souveneirs on men's privates. There were boxers, postcards, everything with pictures of only that part of the David statue - a little weird. Outside of this we weren't able to see much of Florence due to the limited amount of time we had before heading to Pisa. We ate a quick pasta lunch in a cafe (Jeff had a hamburger) and we boarded the bus to head to Pisa. We only had 30 minutes to see the leaning tower and the rest of the buildings in the Field of Miracles. It really was like being in a movie - so surreal. I was amazed by the extreme tilt of the tower - it really almost looks like it is falling over. Once again, breathtaking.
Florence and Pisa
Sep 18, 2006 - 43 Photos

No comments: