Thursday, October 16, 2008

I got a flashback!

This is actually kinda scary. I have been in nursing school for almost 10 months and today was the first time that I actually drew blood from a real live person - not one of those plastic arms connected to some red colored water! Surprisingly, lots of nursing students go all the way through school without doing basic nurse-ey things like starting IVs, catheters, drawing blood, yada yada. I really want to have the chance to do these things while I'm in school but, truthfully, I am PETRIFIED to do them. So when I found out this morning that I was "the chosen one" to draw blood in clinicals I had my own episode of diaphoresis, tremors, pallor and just plain near-puking.

Although I was a bit panicked and feeling truly sorry for my poor patient/victim, I didn't do so badly. I had to have some serious prompting to find the vein ("Nicole - poke RIGHT THERE") but in went the little butterfly needle and out came the blood. Yippee!!

So now I have gotten this little chore out of the way. The first time is always the worst, right? Now I say bring on those stinkin' IV's, catheter insertion - no problem, NG tube Schmen-G tube. I say all this until the next time I am "on the spot" yet again. Then I might have to find myself a little corner to shrink into. Hee hee.


3 comments:

BrookieCookie said...

YAY :) You're one step closer to being an official nurse! I haven't even done that in clinicals before - you rock the house!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first blood draw!!!

LaetificantCor said...

Congrats!! Wait till you get to stick someone like me....I have this tendency to run away if I haven't been appropriately strapped to the chair. Call me chicken :P