Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ode to the Democratic National Convention


If you don't like to read about politics then skip this post please (or just read it to make yourself angry if you like). Also, I respect everyone's ability to form their own political opinion so I'm not trying to pull anyone over to "the other side". Just blogging my thoughts on my blog...
The Democratic National Convention has been on all the major stations during prime time this week...you know it's important if they pre-empt re-runs of "The New Adventures of Old Christine", right?? You should know by now that I am a Democrat...I do claim a party and I do generally vote along those lines...even though there is a stray conservative-ish candidate that I may support every now and then. Anyway...last night Jeff FORCED me to watch Hillary Clinton's speech at the convention and I was, surprisingly, politically rejuvenated again.


I really pride myself on voting...I feel that it is my constitutional right and obligation and, as Hillary pointed out last night, it was only 88 years ago that women were granted the right to vote so, by golly, I am gonna do it. Can you really believe that it was just 88 years ago that women were not allowed to take part in the decision making process in this country?? It kinda floors me when I think about it.


I remember when I was 17, not old enough to vote, and Bill Clinton was running against George Bush, Sr. for his second term. I thought if Clinton won then I would just defect...silly, huh? I have voted in every election since I was 18, even done it by absentee when I was in college. I have had jury duty because of it but, hey, I am the weird chic who actually enjoyed jury duty.


My point is that I am probably going to spend the next two evenings watching more political people get ramped up about the future and, if I don't have PMS too badly, I just might get ramped up with them. When Hillary spoke and was talking about each individual taking part in the future of this country for the good of their/our children and grandchildren, I actually thought, "Hey, I will have a child soon and I want this world and country to be one that she is proud to be a part of, one that creates opportunities for her, affords her the resources and pathways to truly live up to her "God-given potential"." I want that for me, for us, for my baby girl and for her babies...don't we all really want that? For that, I'll do my part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on sista!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I normally avoid leaving comments but I was drawn to this one. I had just listened partially to Bill Clinton's and Biden's speech on the radio and was amazed at what they were saying. Biden's speech was filled with shady half truths and sketchy comparisons. Clinton's was portraying everyone as an innocent victim without the ability to do anything about it. I am not declaring a side in these comments, but I am saying that with a little education, you can stop yourself from being emotionally taken advantage of by politicians and their rhetoric.