Monday, November 12, 2007

First Day, New Life, New Shoes


Today was the first day of my new job. I have orientation and training for the next 4 weeks or so so it will go one of two ways... 1) it will be so boring that I can't see straight or 2) I will be challenged by what I learn in preparation for taking care of lots of eensie babies. I am ok with either but hoping for the latter. Right now, I am just overwhelmed at actually working at a place that actually functions like it's own city. I have worked with just 30 people now for so long, I can't even imagine the scope of a place like UAB...but I am excited about it.
While I was sitting in orientation today, listening to speakers talk about HIPAA and needle sticks, I had an "A-HA" moment. I realized that I am really pretty darn brave for taking this leap of faith. I have changed my career and, thus, my life drastically. It has been scary and I have second-guessed myself over and over but I know that, in the end, it was the right decision for me (and for Jeff too) and I was probably at a point that I would have imploded if I didn't make this change. So I will suck up the cut in pay, be the best darn Patient Care Tech those babies have ever seen and commit myself to being a success in nursing. Give me 5 semesters and the pay cut may not hurt so badly.
AND...as a side note, I gave in and did something I said I would never, ever do...bought some Crocs. They came UPS today so I will be sporting my scrubs with charcoal Caymans very soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you, Sis, but why Crocs?

Anonymous said...

You go, with your crocs and scrubs!