I have been at a Sr. staff retreat/meeting for the past two days and what have I learned? That I suck. Yesterday one of our exercises was deficit vs. asset based thinking (a fancy term for negative and positive use of words). We had a big list of deficit-based thinking phrases - they included things like:
- "That's just the way it is..."
- "Not this again..."
- "I'll never get this done!!"
- "That'll never change."
These phrases in asset based thinking should be replaced by:
- "Whatever it is, I'll work with it."
- "At least I know how to deal with this."
- "This will take longer than I expected."
- "How can I get around this?"
We had a little exercise where we had to determine which set of thinking we belonged to and, of course, I am more of a deficit-based thinker. That means I am negative and I suck (these are more deficit-based terms).
I think the only real way to transition from deficit to asset is a bottle of wine every morning before work.
Of course I am kidding.
No comments:
Post a Comment