I have now worked 6 days of 12 hour overnight shifts and I have to say that my body will NEVER be the same. All of the people that I work with tell me that you never get used to it and that it basically just sucks. Is it worth the extra 25 cents or so an hour?? No. But it IS what I have to do to get me through school. 5 semesters. Approximately 570 days. I can do it...I think.
On a better note, I do really like what I do and am intrigued by what I learn almost every day. If it were during the day or a shorter shift then I would feel more alive but at least I enjoy it.
On a reflecting note, I have to say that working with the babies really has been therapeutic for me. Every time I am holding one, rubbing their little heads and looking into their wee eyes while they stare at me looking for comfort, I think about my little girl and say a little prayer that someone is or will be nurturing her this way until I am with her. It also has made me realize although I haven't had a biological child, it is something that comes way too easy for some people. It doesn't take much to conceive a child and bring them into this world (although I do respect the labor process and the miracle of life ;)) but it takes a special person to be a good mommy or daddy. Nine months of pregnancy just doesn't do it for some people. I have seen good parents, bad parents and absent parents in the past few weeks and I cry for those good ones who have to watch their babies suffer and hope that they get better and then I cry for those babies who only know the love that they get from the staff of the hospital. Their lives are just as important and they deserve nothing less than to be loved. So I can and will do my part while I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment