Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My aching knee

I have been running lately and, if you don't know, I have a bad knee. It's been more than 2 years since I had surgery on it but it still hurts sometimes. And it hurts now, unfortunately. I have done a couple 4 milers and several 3 milers in the past few weeks and I have some races coming up so it better fix itself fast.
I have looked up medial knee pain on the internet and found these risk factors for runner's knee (which is my self-diagnosis):

Wide Hips (female runners) CHECK - I was blessed with them (thanks mom and dad)
Knock Knees (Genu Valgum) I don't think so
Subluxating Patella CHECK - I think I have this as a consequence of my missing cartilage
Patella Alta (high patella) Huh? I don't know what to compare it to
Small medial pole of patella or corresponding portion of femur Maybe...I'll have to do an MRI on myself
Weak Vastus Medialis CHECK - I really need a personal trainer
Weak Quadriceps Muscles CHECK - remember that thing about the personal trainer?
Tight Hamstrings or calf muscles CHECK - duh...a cute, muscle-ey personal trainer would be nice
Pronation of the feet CHECK - I am on over-pronator I believe

So the moral of this blog post is that my knee hurts. I also have a massive blister from trying to break in my new shoes. Any advice?


No comments: