Thursday, October 14, 2010

Running

About 4-5 years ago, I started running. It started inside the YMCA where I worked out when I was first losing weight. There was a track inside the gym, above the basketball courts, where 14 laps made a mile. It was inside so the temperature was always right, it was never rainy and there were no hills. I ran and ran and ran, some days spending an hour and a half and running as many as 7 miles at a time. Of course I was nearing my weight goal so I was fit and pretty small (about 35 lbs smaller than I am now actually).

Then Jeff and I joined our first Couch to 5K group. Running outdoors was not an easy transition. Running on a treadmill is one thing, running a distance on an indoor track is another and running outside on pavement with hills, traffic and weather is a completely different beast. I was running 7 miles indoors but struggled to make 2 miles outside. But I did it. And then 3. Then 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 miles at a time. We completed 5k and 10k races and had a huge sense of accomplishment. Then bust...my knee gave out and I had to have surgery. From that point on, I have struggled to run without injury. And struggled to lose the weight I gained post injury and, now, post nursing school (well shoot...let's just say the weight I gained from life and living).

I am still struggling with my diet but I feel like I am getting a little handle on my exercise and running. Jeff and I started a new Couch to 5k, 10k group in August and today I did my 2nd 5 mile run of this week. Tuesday's run felt good but it was a struggle for sure and today's, while still a struggle, made me feel stronger...like I might just be getting IT back. And by IT, I mean that peace, relief of stress and absolute adrenaline high that running can give me. It feels good.

No comments: