Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When love hurts

Do you know when you see someone that you love so much sad or upset or hurting and you instantly feel a pain, a literal physical pain, inside of your chest? It's a tightness, a collapsing feeling that you can't escape from and it lingers even when you are not looking in the eyes of your loved one and when you are beyond a breath's distance from them. You scramble to do all you can...you hug them, wipe their tears, kiss their hand, pray to God that you can feel it instead of them... but it's never enough, you just can't take their pain away.

This is one time when loving someone hurts. I love my grandmother, my mother, all of my family so much that it hurts right now. What my family is experiencing is an inevitable formality of life wrapped in a bundle of painful moments. I can't do anything to change what is happening and it is making that pain climb from my chest to my throat. This love that I feel hurts so badly but I wouldn't want to live without it. It is precious and irreplaceable. I will treasure these painful and beautiful moments for as long as I am here on this earth. It hurts almost more than I can bear but it reminds me that I am alive.

No comments: