Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Up Next - Baby Sign Language

Lily would like to tell you about her next project.

See here...it's a Baby Signing DVD....



We watched some of it this afternoon and it was mesmerizing. So far we know how to sign "eat", "drink", "milk", "cereal", "banana" and "all done".


With a little practice, we might actually be putting these signs in to our daily routine soon! Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Karen said...

We adopted our daughter when she was 16 months old. My husband wanted to do sign with her, and I was apprehensive, thinking that it would delay her learning English. I was SOOO WRONG!
She quickly learned; milk, water, eat, cat, dog, ball....and it took a bit longer to learn "more" because more is a concept word instead of a noun. But, opening the part of her brain to learn sign made it EASIER for her to learn English, because the brain uses the same formatting to learn any new language, including sign.
I would encourage a parent of ANY toddler (IA or not) to learn sign with their child, because toddlers become frustrated so easily, not being able to say what they want.
I was also shocked after we stopped using sign. When she was 2 and a half, she was communicating fairly well without any sign so we had stopped using it for about 6 months. We went to the beach, and out of the blue, while I held her and stood in the out going wave, she signed, "more water...more water" Hubby was video taping, and my surprise when she signed More Water was worth every minute of the video tape.
Our daughter's memory and reading skills now, at 6 yrs old, are above average....I attribute some of that to using sign for basic words with her when she came home.

OK I went off on my own story, but I just wanted to tell you how much I love watching your lives with her unfold. Keep up the blogging, please!

Krista said...

Love signing! We are, too. I've heard so many fabulous success stories of parents who have used it. I'm just happy to help her communicate and not be so frustrated.

PS. Have you been to my blog lately and seen Mia's interpretation of "more"? I swear she does it all the time. It's awesome. Good luck with it.