Monday, January 17, 2011

Today


"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.



I have used this quote so many times to give me peace and purpose during our wait for Lily. There is no word that describes our ability to persevere during these times than faith.

Today is MLK, Jr. day. I remember when I was in high school, we would all gather in the auditorium during the week of MLK day for a program to commemorate the legacy of this great man. There was a very strong voiced, full of spirit man who worked for the school who would walk in slowly from the back of the auditorium with those four powerful and meaningful words ..."I have a dream...." . Here were are, almost 48 years after Martin Luther King, Jr. gave this speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. And I am able to look at my soon-expanding multi-racial family with pride and not shame. I'm able to hold my husband's hand in public and for people to know us as a couple who love each other deeply and no more. What a gift for all the people of our country and our world.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." -MLK, Jr.



May his words give us pride in the state of our society, though we still have progress to be made, and unlimited hope for our future.

1 comment:

Special K said...

Go to my blog and go back to the very first post I ever wrote.

Kinda eerie, right? :)