Sunday, January 09, 2011

Adoption Seminar

Mom and Dad were back in town this past week and, of course, we had a great visit. The last day that they were here, we went to a class that we have been waiting years to attend...
We were all pretty psyched to learn about issues that we might face with Lily. I was so glad that my parents were able to be there and that they will be such a huge part of Lily's world. She will be so lucky to have fantastic grandparents, aunts and uncles.

We had several great speakers who discussed medical issues, development of motor skills and speech, attachment and bonding and racial/multiracial identity issues. There were more than 20 families there who were in all stages of the adoption process from just beginning the home study to post-referral and preparing for travel. There were also many countries represented including China, Ethiopia, Russia, Peru, Moldova and many more. It was pretty awesome.

Karen and Tony, the other couple whose paperwork travelled with ours to China and who we will be with during our journey, were also there. They are amazing and I am really looking forward to sharing this experience with them. They are also awaiting their first child and we will be getting together with them for dinner really soon.

I have been planning to go to this class since we first started the adoption process but I have put it off in hopes that we could soak up all the information when we are close to referral so that we won't forget it by the time we are holding Lily. I think this was probably perfect timing since we are pretty close (fingers crossed).
After Saturday, I am even more excited about where we are with building our family and so happy that we will be prepared for the fantastic moments ahead and the challenges that we are now more equipped to face. Bring on our little girl!!



No comments: