Thursday, December 31, 2009

Things I've learned in the last 3 months

  • That a compliment from an old-ish person given for absolutely no reason at all can make my day.
  • That some times, no matter how much you try to help someone help themselves, they can still resist and give up. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.
  • That if I walk in to a room with a smile, even when someone is sick and feels like junk, almost always I will get one in return.
  • That I will never know all there is to know but I can learn one new thing each day and tear one more brick out of that wall that holds me back.
  • That death is a real and inevitable part of life and it arrives at it's own time. Just because you are breathing, laughing and talking today doesn't mean that you will be doing the same tomorrow.
  • That no matter how much time you spend making "connections", building a portfolio and becoming a big wig, when you're sick you are the same as the homeless person you passed at Wal-Mart last Tuesday. Miracles aren't given to the affluent any more than to the common.
  • That at least half of nursing is how I approach a patient and their family and the level of confidence that I can help them build with me.
  • That, in the end, at the worst time of life, when you get horrible news, when all you have is a prayer...that's when you need your family to just be there around you holding on to you and to each other. No one else can take their place.
  • That being in the hospital instantly make it ok to show your hiney.

:)

No comments: