Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Ladybug Story



The strangest thing is going on in my car and, of course, since I'm always searching for hidden meaning in situations I wish to share. About 6 weeks ago, I was driving down the road and heard a buzz and saw a bug flying around inside my car. It landed on the inside of my windshield and, after I was done freaking out about the whole bug-in-my-car thing, I noticed that it was a ladybug. I smiled. Over the next month, I saw that same ladybug once every few days zipping around inside the car. It never left. Jeff and I took a trip to Mississippi and it rode with us the whole way...mostly on the windshield but some times it would find a home on some other part of the car's interior. Of course I made the link between ladybugs and good luck in China and every time I saw it I would think that this must be a good sign about our baby girl waiting for us. Until about 2 weeks ago...


I opened the back door of the car to get my gym bag off the seat and found my little friend....now a be-speckled ladybug corpse laying on the back seat. I don't have to tell you that this caused me to freak out a little bit. If a ladybug flying around the car for a month is a good sign, then a dead one on the back seat HAS to be bad, right?!? Add this to the fact that China skipped referrals last month and that we have been enduring this never-ending wait for our baby and things just felt wrong. Until today...
I was driving home from work this afternoon and I had a little deja vu...another zipping bug flew in front of my face and landed on the inside of the windshield. It was another ladybug who has now made it's home in our car...where I spend A LOT of my time lately. You might just say that we have a little excess of ladybugs around our house that are finding their way to the car but, seriously, I have seen NO ladybugs outside this year. Therefore, I declare some ooo-weee-oooo going on here. I can choose to see myself as a superstitious mommy-in-waiting who is looking for meaning in any and everything or I can choose to see some hope in this little piece of my days. I choose the latter....happily.


No comments: