It may not be the best neighborhood...or the sunniest day...or the happiest occasion....but I have seen where God lives. This week Jeff's Uncle Si passed away and today was the celebration of his life. I had never been to a funeral until I met Jeff and, really, no funeral can compare with those seated in the deep southern tradition that I have witnessed since becoming a Massey. No matter what your faith, you can't avoid being consumed with the spirit when in the presence of the loud and singing preacher interspersing bible quotes with life lessons, the praise choir with the one woman who sings out of turn and leads the congregation in a sing-along, the be-hatted women with their fans, hands high in the sky and "Amens", the hugs from people whose faces you know but names you've lost and the procession with nieces and nephews sing "I'll Fly Away" with tears in their eyes and amazing music in their hearts.
Today's eulogy was about forgiveness...and how you should forgive your neighbor not 7 times, but 70 X 7 times...basically that there is no limit to forgiveness and that bitterness is both contagious and consuming. I have learned a ton of lessons just from funerals in the past 10 years. It's shameful that it takes the passing of a loved one for these lessons to come to pass. But then again, would I learn the same lesson if it was delivered in any other manner aside from the empassioned preacher standing over the closed casket with the microphone in one hand, bible in the other?
Although I don't go to church regularly, don't regularly read the bible during my spare moments and don't listen to the Christian rock station, I do consider myself a woman of faith. Don't judge me. My faith takes it's own unique form that I share at times and keep to myself at others. My point with this post is not to discuss faith or organized religion...it is to convey the power of my experience. I wish everyone I know could be in a building that moves with powerful song, positive message and celebration of life. I am proud that Lily will be a part of this family and this culture that has created her daddy. As the Massey family closes out the funeral, singing "Because He Lives" or "Center of My Joy" I find myself moved almost to tears with a mixture of faith, pride and sorrow. So for today, I know where God lives...in a little Baptist church in Fairfield where today a family was united, a life was celebrated, and a lesson was learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment