Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ni Hao


I am getting to know this podcast thing a little bit and found some Mandarin Chinese lessons in the ITunes store. I have now downloaded 15 lessons and listened to my first one today. "Ni hao" means hello but I am learning that you can't just learn Chinese from reading it - the tone and syllable accents are vitally important in pronunciation so I am going to have to listen to this lesson at least 10 more times so that I don't offend anyone in China when I try to say hello. I am convinced that this is one of the most difficult languages to grasp so I challenge myself to get the basics just so that I can survive when we travel to get our baby. Once we get home and our little one gets a tad older I look forward to us taking some Chinese classes together...she will speak Chinese with her daddy's Alabama accent. I'm sure we will all be cracking up.

No comments: