Thursday, April 19, 2007

How do fingerprints expire?

The answer: When China adoptions slow down to a snail's pace and the Department of Homeland Security thinks so much time has passed that you might have had a change of heart and become a criminal. Some days I think this adoption wait is enough to make me hurt someone but at least I would wait until my home study is updated, geesh.

15 months ago we were biometrically fingerprinted as part of our U.S. clearance to adopt from China and today we had to go in to have our fingerprints taken again. You see - they expire after 15 months and the government doesn't just save them in the computer and just re-run them at expiration. So we travelled to the little office with the big computers and began our adventure again. The woman who did my "10 card" remembered Jeff and I from last year and when we left I told her I would see her again next year because there is a huge chance that we will not have our referral in 15 months and our fingerprints will expire again.

Jeff and I talked in the car on the way back and I think I stressed him out. Some days I don't think he fully understands how long our wait might be. He really is the eternal optimist and I love him for that but I find myself now being a realist and those two philosophies sometimes don't co-exist together too well. For example,

Nicole: "Jeff, right now the prediction is for our referral in August of 2008 but it is extending further and further every month."

Jeff: "Well, it could speed up and we might be home by this Christmas."

Nicole (eyes rolling): "Yeah, sure."

Anyway - we will make peace with it because it is our destiny, right? My Zen calendar quote for today is very fitting so I'd like to share it:
"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist
them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things
flow naturally forward in whatever way they like." -Lao-tzu

No comments: