Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tragedy

To continue on the sad note, I have to recount something that happened this week. Friday, Mom, Dad and I were travelling on I-459 from Weight Watchers to have lunch at Roly Poly on 280. Mom and Dad were in their car a little ways behind me and I noticed traffic slowing up ahead. It was about 10 till 11am. I saw the back of a FedEx truck on the side of the road closest to the median/guardrail and knew there had been an accident. No police or emergency vehicles were there yet so I knew it had just happened. As I got closer, I saw the passenger side of the car in front of the FedEx truck and knew that it was a bad, bad accident. The car was completely squished and there was no room left for people...the inerds of the car had taken over. Like the idiot that I can sometimes be, I looked in my rearview and side mirrors as I passed the car and saw a body on the pavement...obviously the person had been killed. I saw enough to know that it was a man and that there was absolutely no chance that he was still alive. I started shaking and freaking out...it was the most disturbing sight that I think I have ever seen. My mind started going everywhere...thinking that this was someone's husband or father or son and his family would soon know and be devastated. I called Jeff and couldn't get him on the phone...I talked to Mom and Dad who were behind me coming up on the accident and told them not to look...of course Dad looked anyway and saw at least 2 more bodies still in the car. I called Brandee who was meeting us at the Roly Poly and freaked out to her. It was such a horrible tragedy...and we found out later in the day that 4 teenagers were killed in that accident, 2 of them sisters. 3 families were torn apart that day when they lost their loved ones...young people with their whole lives ahead of them. So horrible that it happened and so much more real since we saw it. I can only hope that they didn't feel pain and that their families have healing every day that passes.

http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/0308/505781.html

No comments: