Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Journey

Do you ever notice that we spend so much of our lives thinking about all the things that we want to accomplish or the individual successes and failures we have already had? I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I think about making my goal weight, graduating from college, getting married, and on and on but I don't think so much about all it took me to get to those life changing experiences in my life, the people who "rode the ride" with me and the feelings that accompany each experience. Each of my successes (and failures) has had a preceding journey made up of days and years of laughter, tears, struggle and baby steps toward the finale. I don't want to think so much anymore about finishing nursing school, becoming a mommy, losing my 20-some pounds, celebrating my 10th anniversary with Jeff...I want to think about all the days that will lead me to those landmarks...the journey of my life. When I really reflect on my life, the joys lie in those journeys...the day Jeff and I decided to adopt and all the dreams we have shared since about our daughter, all of the growing that I experienced during my life at each stage - childhood, college, independent days, meeting Jeff, making commitments, every week during my weight loss when I successfully gained control of my health and life, the people who make a difference in my life every day just by calling and saying, "Hi. I'm thinking about you.". Such precious moments I miss out on when I lose touch with my own personal journey by just focusing on the finale. Of course, the bad times are just as much a part of my journey and I remember those, learn from them and grow...savor my life's lessons, gain humility, cry my tears and move on. I am hungry for the journey...I want to eat it up and make it part of me. It will make me a better, happier person...every second, every minute, every day.

No comments: